My goal is to work on things that matter. Things that touch peoples' lives for the better.
- Original author of the PHP scripting language
- Etsy Advisor
- Room77 Advisor
- WePay Advisor
- MySQL Advisor (until their sale to Oracle)
- ActiveState Advisory board member (disbanded after sale to Sophos)
- GreatBridge Advisory board member (Company went under)
- Apache Software Foundation board of directors in 2000
- Apache HTTP Server Core Development Team member
- O'Reilly author (Programming PHP, PHP Pocket Reference, parts of WebMaster in a Nutshell)
- Frequent speaker on PHP, and Open Source at conferences, universities and user groups around the world
- Named to MIT/TechnologyReview's 2003 list of Top 100 Young Innovators
- I don't have a cell phone
||Distinguished Engineer Mar. 2012 - Present Etsy Brooklyn, NY|
- Architecture, i18n, payments, fraud, security
||Senior Developer Aug. 2010 - Apr. 2011 WePay Palo Alto, CA|
- Infrastructure engineering and architecture
- nginx, php-fpm, security, fraud prevention, REST API
||Distinguished Engineer Sept. 2002 - Nov. 2009 Yahoo! Inc. Sunnyvale, CA|
- Infrastructure engineering and architecture
- PHP, Apache, Security, Web Services, Ajax, Web 2.0, and I18n
- Open Source compliance work
- Training and evangelism work at International Yahoo! offices
- Heavy yearly conference schedule (20+)
||Time Off June 2001 - Sept. 2002 Dot.com Bomb/baby Vacation San Francisco, CA|
- Time off to play with the new baby
- finish writing the O'Reilly Programming PHP book and the new Pocket Ref.
- and attend countless conferences around the world
||Research Jan 2000 - May 2001 Linuxcare Inc. San Francisco, CA|
- Large-scale app architecture and implementation
- Technical due-diligence work during acquisitions
- Speaker at Open Source Linux Expo (Sydney, Australia), Bang!inux 2000,2001 (Bangalore, India), ThunderLizard Web Design 2000 (Atlanta), O'Reilly 2000 (Monterey), Borland Conference (San Diego), Linuxworld (San Jose, New York), Linux Revolution 2000 (Seoul, Korea), OSDEM (Brussels), Usenix/European (Stockholm).
||Senior Software Engineer 1999 - 2000 IBM Corporation RTP, NC|
- Apache 2.0 Architecture involvement
- DAV (Distributed Authoring and Versioning) work
- IBM DB2 work
- Various Internal IBM projects
- Speaker at ApacheCon (San Francisco), IETF(WWW8 in Toronto), O'Reilly99 (Monterey), and TheBazaar (New York).
||IT Consultant 1996 - 1998 Bell Global Solutions / Bell Emergis Toronto, Canada|
Technologies: Netscape Mail Server, Collabra, Commerce Server, Enterprise Server, Directory Server,
,LDAP SDK, FrontPage97 Server Extensions, Irix, HTTPD, CGI, NSAPI, ISDN, Cisco switches and routers, NetApp Filers.
- Participated in the initial screening of opportunities relevant to Internet business solutions.
- Defined the conceptual and technical elements of Internet related business products and services.
- Provided technical architecture and direction.
- Built large-scale Virtual Email service.
- Built Advanced Server Farm service.
||IT Consultant 1995 - 1996 University of Toronto Toronto, Canada|
Technologies: Cisco TACACS+ protocol, Solaris 2.5, C, Perl5, HTTPD, CGI,
HTML, Cisco ASM, AS5100 terminal servers, Expect, sh, CMU SNMP, RDBMS, Oracle7,
Oracle7 Forms, mSQL, TCP/IP Internals, PPP Internals, Corba, ORB, ILU.
- Responsible for designing the university's new dial-up service (UTORDial)
- Wrote terminal server control software (Cisco TACACS+)
- Wrote SQL/HTML accounting system
- A lot of early PHP work was done for this project
||IT Consultant 1994 - 1999 Lerdorf Consultants Inc. Toronto, Canada|
lex (flex), Netscape Server API (NSAPI), Apache API, ISAPI, NCSA HTTPD internals, Linux, Solaris,
HP-UX, OSF/1, Windows NT, Windows 95, ODBC 2.0, ODBC 3.0, Watcom SQL, RDBMS, Empress, mSQL,
PostgreSQL, MySQL, Solid, Oracle, Sybase, Adabas-D, IMAP4, POP3, LDAP, ACAP, XML.
- Developed PHP/FI package which was distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL).
- Co-authored full PHP/FI rewrite called PHP3. See http://www.php.net/. This is quickly becoming one of the web's most popular scripting languages.
- Member of Apache Development Group (Apache is the most popular Web server in the world)
- Speaker on PHP and Apache at a number of conferences around the world.
- Wrote the mod_info module for the Apache web server.
- Wrote a CGI redirection module for the Netscape family of web servers using NSAPI.
- Wrote CGI redirection patch for the NCSA web server
- Assisted in the design and development of countless home pages and commercial web sites.
||IT Consultant 1994 - 1995 Online Construction Toronto, Canada|
Technologies: C, Tcl, Perl, Solaris 2.4, Linux, Xylogics terminal servers.
- Developed graphical user interface for a Toronto Internet Service Provider
- Responsible for all technical issues involved in getting an ISP on-line
||Product Manager 1993 - 1994 Nutec Informática Mountain View, California|
- Managed small UNIX/DOS software development team
- Developed a unique client/server GUI environment called Nutec Desktop
- Managed a tiered distribution network
- Attended all major UNIX/DOS/Networking tradeshows and was an invited speaker
at SCO Forum in 1993
- Coordinated distributor training sessions
- Technical account manager for large accounts throughout USA and Canada
||UNIX Programmer 1991 - 1993 Nutec Informática Porto Alegre, Brazil|
Technologies: All Intel-based Unices, SunOS, Solaris, HP-UX, OSF/1, MS-Dos,
C, Watcom C, Borland C, Microsoft C, AlphaWindow Standard, No-Loss Data Compression
algorithms - LZ77 and LZ78 variants, XVT, Motif, GUI design.
- Designed and developed an object-oriented user interface builder
- Served as North American liaison for this South American company
||Communications Engineer 1991 NovAtel Communications Calgary, Canada|
Technologies: DSP - TMS320 family, C51, 68HC11 hardware design, TCP/IP, SNA (IBM certified SNA technician), C, SCO Unix, Xenix.
- Part of "Think Tank" group called the Advanced Product Concept Division
- Designed a cellular data communications system
- 2 Canadian patents were registered in my name under the trademark Dataseeker/CDO (Cellular Data Overlay)
||Chief Support Engineer 1990 Digital Media Networks Toronto, Canada|
Technologies: SunOS 4.1.3, No-Loss Data Compression algorithms.
- Maintained and performed troubleshooting on live news satellite transmission system
- Designed and implemented a forward error correction protocol to ensure data transmission integrity
||1988-1993 University of Waterloo Waterloo, Canada|
- Honours B.Sc. in Systems Design Engineering - CO-OP Program
- Received a University of Waterloo Entrance Scholarship
- Workterms with BNR, NT, DMN, NovAtel and Nutec.
- R.Lerdorf, "Dynamic Web Pages with PHP3" WebTechniques Feb. 1998.
- R.Lerdorf, "LDAP at Home" WebTechniques May 1999
- R.Lerdorf, "Installing LDAP" WebTechniques May 1999
- R.Lerdorf, "Configuring Email Clients for LDAP" WebTechniques May 1999
- S. Spainhour, R.Eckstein, "WebMaster in a Nutshell Second Edition" June 1999 (wrote a chapter) ISBN 1-56592-325-1
- R.Lerdorf, "PHP Pocket Reference" January 2000 ISBN 1-56592-769-9
- R.Lerdorf interviewed by L.Houston for oreilly.com, Feb. 2001
- R.Lerdorf and others interviewed by HotWired (audio) Feb. 2001
- R.Lerdorf interviewed by Nexen (in French) April 2001
- R.Lerdorf, "Scripting the Web with PHP" Linux Magazine, July 2001
- R.Lerdorf interviewed by S.Machlis for ComputerWorld, Feb. 2002
- R.Lerdorf, K. Tatroe, "Programming PHP" March 2002 ISBN 1-56592-610-2
- R.Lerdorf, interviewed for SitePoint by K.Yank, May 2002
- R.Lerdorf, "PHP Pocket Reference Second Edition" Nov. 2002 ISBN 0-59600-402-8
- R.Lerdorf, interviewed for eprairie by J.Schneider, Apr 2003
- R.Lerdorf, interviewed in Concepts of Programming Languages textbook, Aug. 2003 ISBN 0-321-19362-8
- D.Kirkpatrick, Fortune article How the Open-Source World Plans to Smack Down Microsoft, and Oracle, and ..., Feb. 2004
- P.Lavin, The Globe and Mail article Popular PHP is hot, and it's Canadian, Sep. 2005
||Traveling, Internet, languages, soccer, and developing Open Source software.